Container gardening is continuing to grow in popularity as more people move into urban areas, where there are space limitations, and fewer people owning their own home. There is also the factor of time limitations with people’s busy lives. Container gardening allows you to incorporate the pleasure and beauty of growing plants into your daily life. Containers are great on patios, balconies, window boxes, and rooftops, and the combinations are endless, fitting into any environment, and allowing for expression of your personal taste and style.
When planning your container, you want to keep in mind how the container is going to look throughout the season. You should take lighting into consideration and pair plants with similar light requirements, as well as similar water requirements. As far as aesthetics, you should consider color combinations and how they fit your personal taste and the surrounding design, whether using a coordinated color palette, or contrasting colors for a bold dramatic effect.
One popular design concept in creating attractive container combinations, is thrillers (focal point of the planting), fillers (to create a fuller, lush appearance), and spillers (to drape over the edge of the planter) to create depth and dimension in your design.
During both Saturdays of our Spring Open Nursery and Garden Days, April 29 and May 6, we will have a container potting station.
- Bring in your own planter/container.
- Select plants from our sales houses to create your desired combination, or
- Our knowledgeable staff can help select plants for your specific conditions.
- For a charge $15.00 we will provide potting mix and aid in planting your container, along with slow release fertilizer.
- You can then take your newly planted container home and enjoy all season long.